Monday, August 3, 2015

Chores for Toddlers


While I don't have a set schedule for our days, I wanted to have something set in stone to help with Keegan's responsibility, helpfulness and independence, so I decided to assign him some CHORES.  What a dreadful word for me growing up but so far so good for our three-year-old.  With that being said, a three-year-old's skill level can only go so far, so the chores are limited and still quite fun for them, but I think it's important to learn responsibility at this young age.  
 
There are currently three chores on his chart every morning, sometimes two, all supervised, of course:  Feed the dog- Bear, water plants, and clean the door windows where Bear rests his nose :)  The last one is a favorite, because what kid doesn't love a squirt bottle full of liquid?!  For this, we use The Honest Company window cleaner, a safer alternative to the chemical based cleaner, or you can find a similar recipe to make your own, here.  As he finishes a task, he "checks" the box off next to the list of pictures I draw for him on our chore chart.  I bought a cheap white erase board and made it more fun with some washi tape, can't beat an opportunity to craft! ;)  After breakfast and teeth brushing, we complete the chores before the fun can start, except for on the weekends.  Weekends, there are no chores!

Amongst other things Keegan volunteers himself for doggy duty quite often.  Don't ask me why but he seriously loves helping and hey, I'm not about to complain about that, but this chore in particular needs extreme supervision...... LOL! Occasionally he will help with the wash, dishes, and preparing meals (pulling grapes off the stems, washing fruits and veggies, tearing lettuce, etc.)  and everyday he must help pick up toys, make bed and put dirty clothes where they belong.  Believe me, the three chores on his chart don't always get done with a huge smile but for the most part, Keegan is a great helper and I'm thankful for that. 

These are just some ideas and I don't ever MAKE Keegan do the helpful things like supper and dishes, but he knows that it is his job to complete the chore list and that's wonderful enough for me.  You can't make a child want to help, you just have to guide them to find it in themselves to want to be a helper.  

What kind of chores did your children have at this age?
Have a wonderful day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment